Historic and yet innovative, it’s hard not to fall in love with the lakefront city, Chicago. Remarkable architecture, sensational theatre, world renowned museums and a dynamic restaurant scene combine to make this amazing city irresistible. Make your next visit to Chicago one to remember with our top ten must do’s.
1. Spend an afternoon exploring the magnificent grounds of Millennium Park. Inside the flourishing gardens you will find unique pieces of art and fascinating architecture including the famous Cloud Gate, the Crown Fountain and the Millennium Monument.
2. Navy Pier is a fabulous entertainment district situated on the shores of Lake Michigan. This must see attraction hosts a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums and family friendly activities, including a giant Ferris wheel.
3. Enjoy a visit to the renowned Lincoln Park Zoo, situated inside Lincoln Park. Get up close and personal with all your favourite animals, from lions and tigers to bears and beavers. And best of all, it’s free!
4. Chicago is home to a plethora of world class museums so it’s worth including a few in your itinerary. Among the most popular are the Museum of Science and Industry, the Art Institute of Chicago and the Field Museum.
5. Admire Chicago’s impressive lakefront by renting a bike and riding along the esplanade. On the other hand, a boat tour on the Chicago River is a fantastic way to see the city’s spectacular skyline. A popular choice is the architecture boat tour that will take you to see Chicago’s world renowned buildings.
6. Chicago has a thriving theatre scene, so don’t miss seeing a show or musical in the bustling Downtown Theatre District. There are also plenty of fantastic restaurants within walking distance.
7. Sport is a way of life in America, so munch on a hot dog and join the locals down at Wrigley Field. Home of the Chicago Cubs, the grounds have featured in many popular movies and television series.
8. Chicago is considered the birthplace of the deep-dish pizza. This indulgent version features a thick base and a high crust and usually incorporates a generous serving of cheese. Try this style of pizza and many others with a satisfying pizza tour of the city.
9. If you have the kids in tow, make a stop at the Shedd Aquarium, where you can meet 32,000 fascinating animals. From river turtles and sea otters to penguins and dolphins, the whole family will be entertained for hours.
10. Michigan Avenue, also known as the Magnificent Mile, is a shopper’s paradise. Stretching across eight blocks, you will be spoilt for choice with endless boutiques and stores to explore at what is deemed Chicago’s premier shopping district.