Most people I know who have traveled to America have been to Los Angeles. However, of those, only a handful left the airport. I was one of them, up until recently, and now I’m kicking myself for not making more time to get to know this wonderful city.
Los Angeles is a fabulous destination. The airport, despite common misconceptions, was quick and easy to navigate. I think the problem lies in doing a stopover, but when it’s your final destination pad it is trouble-free. And it’s in the middle of getting a huge makeover, so down the track it will be a brilliant airport to travel to-and-from.
Here are five things we loved about LA:
1) The first thing we did when we got to LA was a bus tour of famous people’s homes. It was perfect. Not only was it a bit silly, it gave us a great overview of the city. And there’s nothing quite like feeling the buzz of LA than seeing the Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive and Beverly Hills.
2) Venice Beach and its canals are a fun way to spend the day. The canals are a peaceful retreat from the cool craziness of the gritty neighbouring Venice Beach boardwalk. A must-see is watching the skate boarders in the skate park.
3) Santa Monica Pier is the best. The kids will have a ball and so will you. The games arcade was full of retro games and kids of all ages.
4) Hollywood is so much fun. Once you’ve walked the obligatory Hollywood Walk of Fame and visited Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and the Dolby Theatre, get off the main tourist strip and explore.
5) The vibe of LA is one of its biggest draw cards. It’s simply cool. The people are chilled out and friendly and the city itself has so much to offer if you venture past the tourist hubs. It is also such a great base to explore some beautiful places like Malibu, Palm Springs and of course Disneyland.
There’s something about LA that grows on you the longer you’re there. For me, it’s changed from simply a stopover to a destination. I’ve already got a list of places we didn’t get a chance to visit – the Original Farmers market, Universal Studio and Downtown LA. I heart LA. We all did.